GlobalWelsh launches new hub in the USA
GlobalWelsh announces today that it has launched a new global hub in the United States of America. GlobalWelsh USA, the new ‘virtual’ hub, will be led by automotive veteran Jan Griffiths, together with a team of successful Welsh diaspora. It will be focused on growing and connecting the business diaspora network in the USA and facilitating opportunities for mutual growth between members both home and away.
“I’ve spent over 30 years living and working in the USA working in the automotive industry. Over the years I’ve met many Welsh people who, like me, have been searching for a way to reconnect and give back to Wales, GlobalWelsh is the conduit for us to do exactly that.”
There’s almost two million people in the United States with Welsh ancestry alone. Building new links with business leaders and passionate members of the diaspora across the United States offers huge opportunities for GlobalWelsh members and business members. Having access to a connected community of Welsh business leaders across the USA has the potential to be a real economic asset for Wales.
GlobalWelsh USA host, Jan Griffiths, was born in Bridgend and moved to the USA in 1985 with Borg Warner, a tier one supplier in the automotive industry. Jan has enjoyed a successful career in various roles across the industry including purchasing, supply chain and manufacturing, culminating in her appointment to Automotive News’ Top 100 Leading Women in the automotive industry in 2015. In 2018 Jan started her entrepreneurial journey as founder of Gravitas Detroit, a company committed to preparing leaders for the future in the auto industry. Jan hosts The Automotive Leaders Podcast.
“The USA-based diaspora presents a big, if not the biggest, opportunity for Wales when it comes to diaspora engagement. We share a unique and rich migrational history with the Americas."
Jan will be supported by a small group of fellow passionate Welsh diaspora and senior business leaders across the USA who will support the hub’s activities virtually and on the ground, as well as building the network across the USA.
- Dave Richards - from Aberdare now based in Chicago. Dave has spent over 30 years working in senior roles with some of the world’s largest consultancy firms in London and the USA such as Accenture and Ernst & Young where he specialised in the retail industry.
- David Powell - from Swansea now based in Boston, Massachusetts. David has held senior technical roles with some of the world’s largest companies across Europe and the USA including Deloitte, IBM and Intercontinental Hotels. He is currently CEO of CAW Network USA, a volunteer-led organisation focusing on networking and education for Chartered Accountants living in the USA.
- Gareth Hughes PhD - from the Rhymney Valley, now based in Dallas, Texas. An academic turned entrepreneur, in the past 25 years Gareth has launched five companies and guided many other startups in their early stages. His company Caizio helps build medtech and biotech startups to commercialise and raise early-stage capital.
- Huw Webber - from Cwmtwrch Isaf now in Denver, Colorado. Huw read PPE at Oxford University before embarking on a consulting career in the United States. Huw’s focus has been on strategy and technology in the MSO space. Clients have included T-Mobile USA, Dish, Charter, Comcast, Neustar, Cricket. He has lived in the United States since 1996, and adopted American citizenship in 2006. Mae e’n siarad Cymraeg hefyd.
- Roger King - Roger is a graduate of University of Wales, Cardiff. He had been the US liaison to the National Coal Board in the area of methane research while working as a Research Supervisor at the U.S. Bureau of Mines. After receiving his PhD he moved to Mississippi State University where he recently retired as an Emeritus Distinguished Professor. During his academic career he developed a long-term relationship between Cardiff University, where he was Honorary Professor, and Mississippi State University.
Initially, the hub will be focusing activity in the following areas:
- Providing guidance for Welsh businesses who are looking to expand into the USA
- Advocating for inward Welsh investment from the USA into Wales
- Creating cultural awareness between Wales and diaspora across the USA
"There is a tremendous amount of great work being done socially and culturally to bring people together and celebrate their Welsh roots all over the USA but when it comes to business we haven’t even scratched the surface yet."
Jan said: “I’ve spent over 30 years living and working in the USA working in the automotive industry. Over the years I’ve met many Welsh people who, like me, have been searching for a way to reconnect and give back to Wales, GlobalWelsh is the conduit for us to do exactly that.”
GlobalWelsh USA aims to work closely with existing Welsh communities, networks and government organisations across America to collaborate and bring about opportunities for people to reconnect with each other, Wales and other Welsh people globally. Walter May, founder and CEO of GlobalWelsh, commented:
“The USA-based diaspora presents a big, if not the biggest, opportunity for Wales when it comes to diaspora engagement. We share a unique and rich migrational history with the Americas. There is a tremendous amount of great work being done socially and culturally to bring people together and celebrate their Welsh roots all over the USA but when it comes to business we haven’t even scratched the surface yet. Through GlobalWelsh USA, led by Jan and her talented and well-connected team, we can start tapping into and grabbing the huge potential that awaits us on the other side of the pond.”